Meet & Talk

Excellent features of Siemens which AB Control Logix Does not have

Thread Starter: Lucky123   Started: 7/8/2009 3:30 AM   Replies: 61

« Previous thread Next thread »
«1234567» Page 5 of 7 (62 items)
  6/7/2011, 6:17 PM
Joined 1/28/2009
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.22 out of 5 / rated 700 time(s)]. (700) 
Rated: no ratings [0 out of 5 / rated 0 time(s)]. (0) 
Lucky123 wrote:
There is no comparison of RSView with WINCC.

I have never seen anyone who likes to work with RSView.

RSView,frequent change of properties and also name of product
to be afraid of encountering new interfaces in each revision.But in
WINCC, you can work with it , if you have basic knowledge.Rnf:lblSmileyTooltip_  think

There are also some important point which  bother a SIMATIC user:
1-In rslogix5000, the description or help of a function is not available
by selecting the function and presing <F1>

2-All project I have checked,they just used some routines which may
return a value.It is a big mystry till now ,for me , how to create a FC
or FB like in STEP7.

regards
  6/7/2011, 6:35 PM
Joined 8/24/2006
Rating:
nickephx wrote:
I recently wrote an article explaining some of the practical differences between Siemens and Allen Bradley (AB), especially focused on function blocks.

Check it out here:  
Siemens vs Allen-Bradley: Function Blocks

Hope this is informative.

Nick
DMC, Inc.
Expert Engineering & Software Services

hdhosseini
, take a look at previous posting in this thread that discusses modular programming in
RSLogix 5000.  AOIs are the closest thing to FBs in the Rockwell world.  In my experience, very few Rockwell programmers have adopted this powerful tool.  Siemens programmers who are more familiar with Function Blocks, however, should be able to easily adopt and capitalize on this feature.

-Nick
Thank you for this post from:
  6/8/2011, 5:19 AM
Joined 12/20/2008
Rating:
Rated: Outstanding [3.45 out of 5 / rated 220 time(s)]. (220) 
Rated: Good [1 out of 5 / rated 1 time(s)]. (1) 
Your Comparison seems awesome. I think you should elaborate little more on it(emphasising for beginners of siemens). As it will give a better idea to the people who know AB and trying to learn Siemens.

It would be nice if you could use this forum for elaborating it more, I am sure people would like it.

Keep it up!
  11/14/2011, 6:15 PM
Joined 10/18/2011
Rating:

I think Don Sigman's post is exact right.  AB tops S7 as far as being easy to use.

Take the simple example of moving an INT value from an HMI and moving it into a PLC timer preset, which is a VERY COMMON procedure in the world of automation.  In an AB PLC, it can be done with a simple MOV instruction in ladder logic, moving the INT right into the .PRE of the timer.  In a S7-300 PLC with ladder logic, you have to convert the INT to BCD and then do a masked move with the time base you want and place the result in a MW/DW.  How complex for such a common task!  PLus, the Siemens method is limited from 0-999 at the HMI and the S7-300 cannot convert DINT to TIME using the T_CONV.  Now the S7-1200 can do this conversion, but not the S7-300.  That seems strange to me.  It seems funny that Siemens has recently introduced the TON block, something that AB has had for years.  It is almost like they are playing catch-up.

Also the online AB/Rockwell support knowledgebase and forums (all free access) are 10x better than this support website for finding information.  The Rockwell knowledgebase assigns searchable knowledge base article numbers for all of the entries and organizes topics better than Siemens.  Siemens does not uses knowledgebase numbers or any numerical indexing that I can tell and many topics listed on a single support webpage (disorganized).

Bottom line:  go with AB if you want to keep your projects SIMPLE and disregard the "feature comparison" table at the top of this thread.  Having 15+ years experience as a controls engineer, trust me when I say "workability" trumps "features" every time.  The K.I.S.S. principle (keep it simple stupid) applies here, and without doubt AB is much simpler and more workable than Siemens when it comes to ladder logic and online support.

11/14/2011, 6:43 PM
Joined 3/21/2006
Rating:
Rated: Outstanding [3.92 out of 5 / rated 1048 time(s)]. (1048) 
Rated: Good [1 out of 5 / rated 1 time(s)]. (1) 
OFFTOPIC
I am sure that almost in all big companies (more then 1000 employers) the contracts for revamps, installing and improving a new equipments with the newer control units have been signed the people (managers) which "didn't care about CPU's excellent features...So, if you are lucky OK but there is not possibility to make a choice. OK fully agree in case of small projects.

Best regards,
Hristo Mihalev
  11/15/2011, 4:59 PM
Joined 10/18/2011
Rating:
It's not just 'small projects' where people like me think that "workability" is much more important than "features", it's also the larger projects (like SCADA systems and multiple PLC networks).  Just look at the 2011 Control Magazine Readers Awards results polling hundreds of professionals in our industry: Rockwell tops Siemens in all categories.  http://www.controlglobal.com/Media/2011/1101/Cg1101_CovTable1.pdf

I think it is a shame that someone starts a thread like this on this support website as a "sales gimick" so that Siemens employees/distributors can post their biased opinions posing as controls engineers like me with real world experience.  And I'm not a Rockwell employee, just one knows what works best for most companies in the automation world (less workable PLC/HMIs = more engineering development time = less profit).  I think the moderater should delete this thread, it serves no constructive purpose.

=== Edited by garf123 @ 11/15/2011 5:13 PM [GMT ] ===

11/16/2011, 12:40 AM
Joined 10/7/2005
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.29 out of 5 / rated 716 time(s)]. (716) 
Rated: Excellent [5 out of 5 / rated 3 time(s)]. (3) 
Hello garf123

garf123 wrote:
I think it is a shame that someone starts a thread like this on this support website ...

While it is hosted and moderated by Siemens and falls under the Umbrella of their Service & Support offering, it is still a Forum where everyone is invited to express their opinion. 

garf123 wrote:
... so that Siemens employees/distributors users can post their biased opinions

Guilty as charged grin. Then again, aren't we all biased in one way or another?

garf123 wrote:
Just look at the 2011 Control Magazine Readers Awards results polling hundreds of professionals in our industry:

I fear you are fighting fire with fire here as far as being biased is concerned.
Control Magazine is published by Putman Media which is based in the USA but at least credible enough to admit that the survey results are biased by stating the following (see HERE for more): 
"This year's awards represent the collective opinion of over 1000 automation professionals.

The results still reflect a North American bias. However, each year we see more responses from automation professionals from outside the United States." 

garf123 wrote:
I think the moderater should delete this thread, it serves no constructive purpose.

It serves the purpose of people openly voicing their opinions which is a key function of any forum (call it "freedom of speech" if you like and I think this is something we can all agree on to be a good thing).

Cheers

fritz

The advice and opinion given in this thread is that of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of I S Systems Pty Limited.
To find out how I S Systems can help you with your automation needs please visit www.issystems.com.au.
  2/3/2012, 6:40 AM
Joined 11/23/2011
Rating:
Rated: Very Good [1.4 out of 5 / rated 5 time(s)]. (5) 
Its nice, but what ever the features, COST MATTERS A LOT.......!!!!!blink
Just compare cost of both, then you will see why people prefers allen-bradley......!!!cool

In cost of S7 300-400, you cant get onboard Ethernet, DB-8 & DB-9 pin com ports, onboard analog I/Os in cost of Micrologix or Controllogix from AB.

I wite this coz i have already worked in both make's PLC, SCADA, HMI.....

Reply if not solved, RATE if solved....!!!!!!!

Happy to Help :)
  2/28/2012, 11:42 PM
Joined 1/31/2011
Rating:
Just like to add as a former AB user and now using Siemens for 2 years I will never use AB by choice again.  Too many things to list why I prefer it over AB

gav s
  4/20/2012, 3:09 PM
Joined 12/20/2008
Rating:
Rated: Outstanding [3.45 out of 5 / rated 220 time(s)]. (220) 
Er. Sanjay Mistry wrote:
Its nice, but what ever the features, COST MATTERS A LOT.......!!!!!blink
Just compare cost of both, then you will see why people prefers allen-bradley......!!!cool

In cost of S7 300-400, you cant get onboard Ethernet, DB-8 & DB-9 pin com ports, onboard analog I/Os in cost of Micrologix or Controllogix from AB.

I wite this coz i have already worked in both make's PLC, SCADA, HMI.....

Please compare Apple to Apple and Orange to Orange. 

What cost analysis you are talking about is not exactly in line with the hardware. A micrologix can not be compared with even S7200 PLC, leave S7300/400 aside.

You can not get the cheapest model of Control Logix CPU with S7 300 CPU series. With S7300 series PN/DP port comes along with CPU, which is not the case with CLX. You will have to buy seperate ETH module with AB unlike SIemens.
So here again Siemens is cost effective.

«1234567» Page 5 of 7 (62 items)
Actions