STEP 7 / STEP 7 Lite

Step 7 5.5 backward compatibility

Thread Starter: huggy_d1   Started: 5/1/2012 8:07 PM   Replies: 2

« Previous thread Next thread »
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  5/1/2012, 8:07 PM
Joined 7/7/2010
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.03 out of 5 / rated 384 time(s)]. (384) 
Rated: no ratings [0 out of 5 / rated 0 time(s)]. (0) 
We support several installations of Siemens S7-300 / 400 family controller-based systems.  Unfortunately, we do not actually own Step 7 software, so we cannot truly support them without vendor assistance.  Under warranty, this if fine, and for consistency between equipment and the very limited number of vendors, it might likewise be fine as any changes made to one system can be migrated to similar equipment by the vendor more quickly than we can do so.

That said, there is something to be said about being able to login and find a problem, then tell the customer and vendor what we see rather than what we 'guess' is the problem.

We are investigating the purchase of the latest step 7 basic license to connect with existing equipment.

Questions:
1. Can the latest license work with older controllers, or do we need more licenses to communicate with controllers programmed with Step 7 5.4 (or older)?
2. Can we download the programs in the controller with this software, or is it strictly what you see is what you get without the original project files (meaning the tags are not part of the downloaded project)?  What about comments?  I assume those are only in the project files and not loaded into the controller.
3. What would most experienced equipment builders suggest?  I have worked on both sides of this one and think it is better to have at least read-only access to the PLC as a customer.  As an equipment builder, the less my customer would be able to mess up, the more likely it will work for a very long time :)

If there are other considerations, please post your thoughts.  It is fairly expensive per copy in my opinion.  I say charge slightly more for the hardware and give the software away.

Helpful? Rate it.
Solved? Post it.
http://geo.co/s/EyRK
  5/2/2012, 11:33 AM
Joined 1/3/2006
Rating:
Rated: Outstanding [3.83 out of 5 / rated 41 time(s)]. (41) 
Hi there,

1. Can the latest license work with older controllers, or do we need more licenses to communicate with controllers programmed with Step 7 5.4 (or older)?
--> Step7 5.5 license will work with Step7 5.4 this I have checked and it works. We can generalize that licences are downward compatible. 

2. Can we download the programs in the controller with this software, or is it strictly what you see is what you get without the original project files (meaning the tags are not part of the downloaded project)?  What about comments?  I assume those are only in the project files and not loaded into the controller.
--> Tag names, and comments are in orignal file and is not loaded into controller.

3. What would most experienced equipment builders suggest?  I have worked on both sides of this one and think it is better to have at least read-only access to the PLC as a customer.  As an equipment builder, the less my customer would be able to mess up, the more likely it will work for a very long time :)

--> We send controller which are read/write protected. It depends actually.

Regards,
Manmeet.

Thank you for this post from:
  5/2/2012, 11:53 AM
Joined 3/21/2006
Rating:
Rated: Outstanding [3.92 out of 5 / rated 1048 time(s)]. (1048) 
huggy_d1 wrote:
Questions:

wrote:

• STEP 7 V5.5 is fully upwardly compatible with STEP 7 V5.4, V5.3, V5.2, V5.1, V5.0, V4.x and V3.x, i.e. programs and projects created with these versions can be further processed with STEP 7 V5.5 without any changes.
  • STEP 7 V5.5 is also reverse compatible with these versions under the condition that a V5.5 project does not contain components and functions which are not supported by STEP 7 V5.4, V5.3, V5.2, V5.1, V5.0, V4.x or V3.x, e.g. new CPUs or new functions.
    • If a project created with STEP 7 V5.5 is to be further processed with STEP 7 V5.0, for instance, the V5.5 project may only contain module order no.'s which are known to STEP 7 V5.0. It may be necessary to configure new modules with the "predecessor order no." in this case.
    • In the reverse case down to STEP 7 V5.1 incl. SP3 it is not necessary to consider the above restriction, because here it is possible to also represent new modules that are not known to the STEP 7 version.
  • From STEP 7 V5.2 and higher many new modules can be "post-loaded".

huggy_d1 wrote:

Exactly. Basically there is way to download the whole projcet to the CPU. But it depends. (http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/12068554...)

Best regards,
Hristo Mihalev

=== Edited by UMENCHO @ 5/2/2012 11:54 AM [GMT ] ===

=== Edited by UMENCHO @ 5/2/2012 11:54 AM [GMT ] ===

Thank you for this post from:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Actions