STEP 7 (TIA Portal)

TIA Portal Crash

Thread Starter: Captive Engineer   Started: 4/13/2011 6:56 AM   Replies: 15

« Previous thread Next thread »
12» Page 1 of 2 (16 items)
  4/13/2011, 6:56 AM
Joined 1/30/2006
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.43 out of 5 / rated 7 time(s)]. (7) 
Rated: no ratings [0 out of 5 / rated 0 time(s)]. (0) 
Hello, Folks.

8 months ago, TIA Portal (aka Step 7 Basic, V10.5 SP2) was installed on my PC,

Dell M6400
Dual Core 2.66 GHz CPU
3.48 GB of RAM
160 GB HD

Step 7, Simatic Manager, WinCC Flex '08, Simotion, and Micro Win are also installed along with the usual suspects for Office software, etc.

Today, I opened up TIA Portal to do some experimentation with an S7-1200, but I could not do very much without the software crashing.  When it falls over, a very informative dialog box appears which reads:

---------------------
The application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Would you like to restart the application?
---------------------

And then I have the corresponding buttons available at the bottom of this popup box.

I can get this crash to occur without doing much at all.  Once I have selected the project view and opened some window such as the Devices and Networks page, an HMI visualization screen, or even simply the Diagnostics tab along the bottom of the application's display, I need only let my mouse hover for a few seconds over some interactive content (pushbutton, column header, basic objects visualization toolbox, etc.) on any of the mentioned windows.  I don't have to even click on the object.  After 4 or 5 seconds, the cursor briefly switches from the usual pointer arrow to a pointer-hourglass cursor, and then back again.  Once this happens, the popup display appears, and I can no longer interact with the software until I restart it.

For whatever it may be worth, I've not yet seen this happen whilst working with items listed in the project tree.

I called tech support earlier today, and the individual with whom I spoke suggested that I should probably uninstall and then reinstall TIA Portal.  This I did, but there is no change in the behaviour of the application.

Has anyone seen this problem, and, more importantly, is there a solution that may be recommended?  Thank you for whatever good advice you offer.

Best regards,
The Captive Engineer
  4/13/2011, 3:48 PM
Joined 7/7/2010
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.03 out of 5 / rated 384 time(s)]. (384) 
Many of us have seen this same behavior.  I am fairly certain something is corrupted in your project.

If you can recompile your PLC tags, then your FCs & FBs, you should be able to recompile the entire PLC project.  Then recompile your HMI tags and then your HMI project.

In that process, you may crash often, so save your project after every successful compile. 

If you simply cannot compile even the PLC tags, you may need to copy the contents of your project to a new project a piece at a time.  When you are unable to copy, you will have found the piece of your project causing the problem.

To copy, open two copies of TIA Portal, one with your crash-prone project, and the other will be your new fresh project that doesn't crash when you compile.

This is a painful process, but within an hour you should have your project compiled and ready to load.

Helpful? Rate it.
Solved? Post it.
http://geo.co/s/EyRK
  4/13/2011, 5:02 PM
Joined 1/30/2006
Rating:
Thank you for your initial response.

Sadly, however, the problem is still present even when I open a new blank project.

Kind regards,
The Captive Engineer
  4/13/2011, 6:01 PM
Joined 1/30/2006
Rating:

In the interest of scientific curiosity, I attempted and was able to open the application and compile an existing project without any faults.  Compiling appears to work fine.

Whatever is causing my application crash appears to be related to the application itself, and not a particular project.  After testing the compile operation, I moved my mouse cursor over to one of the PLC instructions and let the cursor hover over that.  After a few seconds, the app crashed as before.

Regards,
The Captive Engineer

4/13/2011, 6:31 PM
Joined 7/7/2010
Rating:
In that case, I would agree the projects are not at fault, and instead, you should repair/reinstall the TIA Portal Software.  Of course, make a backup of your projects if they are saved within the Portal folder hierarchy (which is not normal nor the default behavior).

Good luck and be sure to post back your results.

One other thought... create a new admin user / profile on the PC.  Start the software using that user login account / profile, and see if it still crashes.  Based on your prior attempts at uninstall and reinstall not correcting the problem, perhaps registry corruption on a supporting windows file has caused the problem.

Creating a new profile fixes many problems related to profile / registry corruption.

=== Edited by huggy_d1 @ 4/13/2011 6:33 PM [GMT ] ===

Helpful? Rate it.
Solved? Post it.
  4/14/2011, 3:46 PM
Joined 1/30/2006
Rating:

My effort in creating a new profile and launching TIA Portal from it has, unfortunately, made no positive difference.  The application crashes whether I am logged into my original profile or the new one.

Any other suggestions?

Chained to the PLC,
The Captive Engineer

4/15/2011, 7:59 AM
Joined 8/15/2007
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [5 out of 5 / rated 1 time(s)]. (1) 
Hi,

I have same problem. I have done about 10 S7-1214+KTP600PN projects and TIA portal crashes sometimes(usually when you are hurry...). This crashing is frustrating but i can live with it. I just use save-button often. When TIA-portal crashes i just have to start the portal again and open project and continue working...
My laptop is ok. I have a feeling this crashing thing is TIA portal V10.5 feature.
BTW. I like very much these new S7-1214 CPUs and KTP600 PN panels. Hope Siemens release V11.0 soon...
  4/15/2011, 9:59 AM
Joined 11/15/2006
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.02 out of 5 / rated 137 time(s)]. (137) 
Users with special expertise supervising conferences
The thing with TIA Portal is this: DON'T HURRY! Be patient. togue
My experience is, if you click to often on one object it might crash. Wait some seconds and then click again if nothing happens seems to be the better way of working. blink

Have Fun!

TomDeWou
  4/15/2011, 3:11 PM
Joined 7/7/2010
Rating:
Rated: Good [1 out of 5 / rated 1 time(s)]. (1) 

Maybe reapply SP2 and add the hardware support packs again.  SP2 added some instructions, and the HSPs added items as well.  Maybe they didn't apply properly.

Here's a few questions I'm not clear on though.
1. When you compile a new project successfully, can you create a TIA Portal crash by hovering while in that project?  If so, maybe your _mouse_ driver is wonky (or acting contrary to standard mouse motions).
2. Do you have a project that crashes and will not compile, or is the major issue with hovering -> crashing?
3. Did the installation of the system go to the default locations?
4. Are you using a local administrator account to run TIA Portal or a power user or regular user?
5. Are you using latest patches for the O/S?
6. Are you using a rather aggressive firewall / antivirus system, like say Norton or McAfee?

It really sounds like when you hover over something, it is hitting a security violation of some sort, generated by the mouse driver, the O/S, security violation, or permissions issue.

Maybe there are registry errors, but the reinstall of the portal and new profile creation would have fixed that, so that is less likely to be the cause of the problem.

Maybe some of the above will help narrow your focus.  In the meantime, are you using an alternate computer with good results?

Helpful? Rate it.
Solved? Post it.
  4/15/2011, 6:00 PM
Joined 1/30/2006
Rating:
Thank you, huggy_d1, for the suggestions.

My install disc is the SP2 version of the software, and I have not yet added any HSPs after the install, so there should be nothing in the way of updates that I should have to re-add.  I am aware of the hotfix for SP2 that has to do with card readers, but since I reinstalled from scratch, I have not executed the hotfix, and so this should not be a case of an update that "did not apply properly".

Regarding your numbered questions:

1)  After a successful compile of a new project, the crash will occur if my mouse cursor hovers over a broad number of objects in the project view, for example, a ladder instruction in the list on the right sidebar.  Of course, compilation does not appear relevant to the issue since the crash occurs if I hover over the same instruction before compiling as well as afterward.

As to the mouse issue, I can only say that using different hardware mouses (usb, laptop touchpad, keyboard rubber nubby finger stick) makes no difference.  If these all use a common driver, then there may be something to what you say.  Then again, I don't see this problem in any other software . . .

2)  This problem has never yet been project compilation.  The problem appears to be crashing related to the user interface attempting to react to a mouse hover over some of the screen objects.

3)  The installation did go to the default locations.  All available options at install were standard insofar as I can tell.

4)  In each account I have tried (there have been 3 now), each was a local admin account.

5)  The O/S has all the latest patches including the many that were released this past Tuesday.

6)  Concerning antivirus software, it is my opinion that they are all aggressive, although some are far more invasive than others, Norton and McAfee being near the top of the list.  My antivirus is eTrust from CA.  Since it is made for corporate environments, its firewall policy is fairly tight, but I've not had some of the resource fights with it that certain other AV software has caused me in the past.

In all of this trouble, the thing that is truly frustrating is that 10 months ago when I first installed this, everything seemed to work without crashing.  The only major thing I can think of since then is that the hard drive required replacement (about 8 months ago).  At that time, I went through all of my Siemens software re-installation in the order prescribed by tech support.  From that time until recently, I've played very little with TIA Portal so I cannot say with certainty whether it was ever right on the current hard drive.  Regardless, it is not working properly now, and I would surely like to understand why.

I have not yet attempted to install the software on an alternate computer.

Kind regards,
The Captive Engineer
12» Page 1 of 2 (16 items)
Actions