I had the same problem. I could not install CP5711 as there was a higher version already installed on my computer and it would not allow me to proceed.
What I did to solve the problem are as below:
- Opened the device manager in main windows(not virtual).
- Connected the MPI to see what device is added to the list. It was Simatic PC Adapter USB.(there was a yellow mark next to it!
- Checked the device manager in virtual windows (win xp) and couldn't find the device.
- On the top menu of virtual windows, right clicked on the USB icon and selected " Connect to the host"
- checked the device manager in virtual machine again and found the SIMATIC PC Adapter this time.(there was no yellow sign next to it)
- opened the simatic manager, set the right PC-PG interface.(PCAdapter(MPI) and USB connection)