Communication / Networks

Sinec L2 Busterminal

Thread Starter: shaun   Started: 2/28/2010 8:14 AM   Replies: 3

« Previous thread Next thread »
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  2/28/2010, 8:14 AM
Joined 12/22/2005
Rating:
Rated: no ratings [0 out of 5 / rated 0 time(s)]. (0) 
Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Sinec L2 PG/OP Busterminal RS485 (6GK1 500-0DA00)
I have a pair on my plant (which is a new plant) that connect an S7-400 CPU MPI port to a Siemens Touch Panel elsewhere in the field.
As I understand it, this is quite an technology device, so I am tryin gto understand why it would be used in a new, state of the art process? Maybe just as a cheap repeater?

In any case, I want to be able to connect my laptop to the 9-pin D-sub connector on this bustermianl so that I can interrogate the PLC but the MPI adapter does not get any power from the device. I believe there is no 24v supply from the panel to the relevant pins, so any ideas how how I can ccomplish this?

Many thanks,
Shaun Nel.
  2/28/2010, 6:00 PM
Joined 1/7/2006
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.07 out of 5 / rated 258 time(s)]. (258) 
Users with special expertise supervising conferences
Dear Shaun,

It is only a possibility to get a good connection to the MPI or PROIBUS.

It is depending if this 24V is coming to the Sub-D connector if the connected device have on the right pin 24V.

Which display are you using ?

Look in the networkbook SIMATIC NET PROFIBUS Networks for further information on which pin the 24V is normally. Chapter 4.7 and further give more information about the busterminal. On page 5-4 the layout of the connector is showed (Pin 2 Massa 24V and Pin 7 +24V). You can make a Sub-D connector which is connecting to the Pins 3 and 8 and which is only have on Pin 2 and 7 a external 24V power supply. Take care that the 24V is fused and that it won't come on the other Pins, you may damage the equipment... Rnf:lblSmileyTooltip_  think

I hope that the answer will help, if you have still questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

All the best, Late
Never say never, think in solutions, not in trouble......
Thank you for this post from:
  3/1/2010, 6:11 AM
Joined 12/22/2005
Rating:
Thanks for that info Late. However, I think I may have made a mistake when I said I wanted 24v on the plug. Please disregard that statement.

What I would like to do is connect my laptop with Step7 on it to the 9 pin plug on the busterminal nd connect via MPI to the PLC. When I plug the MPI adapter to this busterminal, none of the LED's on the busterminal illuminate and I get no communication.

Is it possible to connect to the PLC vias MPI in this way?
If so and I do not get any comms via MPI adapter, is there something I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
Shaun.
  3/1/2010, 8:06 AM
Joined 10/7/2005
Rating:
Rated: Excellent [4.3 out of 5 / rated 727 time(s)]. (727) 
Users with special expertise supervising conferences
shaun wrote:
.... When I plug the MPI adapter to this busterminal, none of the LED's on the busterminal illuminate and I get no communication.

Hello shaun

can you please check if you have the power LED on the your MPI Adaptor lit?
As Late already said, the "normal" USB MPI/DP PC adaptor needs 24V from the MPI/DP port to which it is connected (Pin7: +24V, Pin 2 0V. I can't remember if the older RS232 version needed it too).
The busterminal does however NOT provide these 24V to Pin 7&2 which may very well be your problem.

If you have a Field PG, CP5511 or 12 PCMCIA cards handy you could also test it first with these (they do NOT need the 24V supply from Pin 7&2).
Btw, you can also order a seperate 24V external power supply adaptor for the USB MPI/DP Adaptor (part number and link 6ES7972-0CA00-0XA0)

shaun wrote:
Is it possible to connect to the PLC vias MPI in this way?

Providing you get 24V power to your MPI Adaptor I think it will work (MPI is a subset of Profibus and I don't think that the busterminal will "block" it. I have however never tested this one).

I hope this helps

Cheers

fritz

The advice and opinion given in this thread is that of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of I S Systems Pty Limited.
To find out how I S Systems can help you with your automation needs please visit www.issystems.com.au.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Actions